You are here

FAQs - General

I have an urgent issue and my officer is not available. What should I do?

In the event that you need assistance and your supervision officer is unavailable, call the office and ask to speak to the duty officer.

I forgot to call the drug line last night, what can I do now?

Call your supervision officer or the main office (number below) as soon as possible to check if you are scheduled for drug testing.

Seattle office: 206-370-8550
Tacoma office: 253-882-3730
Everett office: 425-249-7000
Tukwila office: 206-428-1720
Vancouver office: 360-326-7855

If I am convicted of a federal crime, how can I restore my right to own or possess a firearm?

An individual convicted of a felony offense is legally prohibited from possessing a firearm under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1). Possession of a firearm by a family member living in the same residence as a convicted felon could constitute constructive possession, which may violate federal law.

If I am convicted of a felony in federal court, can I vote?

In Washington, your voting rights are restored automatically upon completion of sentence.  Please note that this varies from state-to-state.

If I am convicted of a federal crime, am I permitted to hunt? 

An individual convicted of a felony offense is prohibited from possessing a firearm under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1), but is not prohibited from hunting consistent with state regulations.

Provided that they are not subject to probation/supervised release conditions prohibiting the possession of a dangerous weapon, felons may hunt with bows and/or black powder rifles.

I have a friend/family member who is in prison. How do I find out where he is being held? 

If your friend/family member was convicted in federal court, he most likely is held in a prison operated by the Federal Bureau of Prisons. This information is publicly available via the Federal Bureau of Prisons website with the Inmate Locator.

I am owed court-ordered restitution, who do I contact to get my money?

The U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services office is not authorized to release information regarding payments received and distributed by criminal defendants. Please contact the U.S. District Court Clerk for information if you believe you are owed court-ordered restitution.

I owe restitution for my crime. Who do I pay? 

All payments for fines, restitution, and special assessments ordered by the judge in your case are paid to the U.S. District Court Clerk in the district in which you were convicted. Please include your name and case number on your cashier’s check or money order.  You can also pay online by using, using these instructions.

Where can I get information regarding child support? 

For information regarding child support, call your state’s Department of Health and Human Services.

What are the requirements for becoming a U.S. Probation Officer?

  • A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in criminal justice, criminology, psychology, sociology, human relations, business or public administration.
  • Must be physically capable to do field work and possess a valid driver's license.
  • First-time appointees must not have reached their 37th birthday at the time of appointment.